Our Egg-citing Christmas Adventure: Day 4

It's Day 4.  I've been pleasantly surprised by the way things have gone so far.  After the first 48 hours, it's been a pretty easy trip.  The incubator is still running smoothly and I have no complains.  That being said, we are only on Day 4.

I candled all the eggs today just to see if any of them were developing.  I didn't take pictures of each of them because I didn't want to keep them out of the incubator longer than I had to, but I did get a good picture of one that is developing (below).

Egg #28 candling on Day 4
Photo unedited

Egg #28 candling on Day 4.
Photo edited to show more detail to veins.

As you can see, the veins are running through this one and are very easy to see when candling.  I was so excited when I saw them.  It's just amazing to me that a little living being, no matter how small, is inside this shell.  It's just simply incredible.

While editing the picture, I saw the heart-shaped embryo.  How sweet is that?!

So the results from today's candling were as follows:

Eggs that show obvious veins when candled were numbers:
1, 2, 5, 15, 19, 25, 28, 29, 36

Eggs that show possible veins, but I couldn't be 100% sure were numbers:
3, 10, 33, 35

Eggs that show no development so far were numbers:
4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 30, 31, 32, 34, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

Another note is that number 27 was upside down in the incubator.  I hesitated on whether I should flip it right side up or leave it as it was.  I finally decided to go ahead and flip it right side up.  I figured if the chick does develop upside down, it would likely have a hard time breaking out of the shell with the narrow end up.  Flipping it right side up now may damage the embryo and keep it from developing now, but it's a risk I was willing to take because I'd feel horrible if it died in the shell because it couldn't get out.  I don't know what the right choice was, but I made what I felt was the right choice for my situation and I'm okay with that.

Also, one time when I checked on the incubator today, one of the eggs was out of it's space and on it's side.  This caused the air cell to shift to the side.  I gently placed it back in it's space in the egg turner and I'm hoping that it doesn't do any damage to the developing embryo.

When you've got kids, especially small kids, things are just going to happen.  You just deal with it, learn from it, teach from it, and move on.  More than likely someone bumped the incubator and it knocked the one egg out of it's space.  With the upside down egg, it could be that I mistakenly put it in there upside down to start with or maybe the boys got to the incubator and go the egg out to look at it and put it back upside down.  Either is completely possible.  It is what it is and it's just not a big deal.

We'll candle them again in a couple of days and see how they are coming along at that point.


Comments